Sunday, February 24, 2008

Talkin' Bout Afghanistan



As part of my ongoing personal campaign to get Canada out of Afghanistan, I have spoken to numerous [over two dozen] people in various settings over the last few weeks. Not once have I had a person defend or promote the Canadian mission in Afghanistan. In fact, most people seem to be more against it than I am. At least a third claim they were against it from the outset.

These people range in age from early twenties, thirties, forties, fifties, and seventies. This is by no means a representative sample as they are all from Southern Ontario and probably skew a little high when it comes to income and education.

A common thread of their unhappiness is that we were snookered/strong armed into this mission by the US. Primarily, to cover their withdrawal to attack Iraq.

There is also a resignation that with the Conservatives or Liberals [or a combination of them] in the drivers seat, that we will never leave unless the Afghans chase us out.

The discussions I have had have been surprisingly emotional [for Canadians] and have actually lifted my spirits regarding a change in policy. I will continue to raise the issue as often as possible and hope that other Canadians are doing the same.

NOTE: With that in mind I have linked to a couple of Canadian Anti-Mission Blogs in my Links
List. Check them out.

No comments: