Sunday, January 07, 2007

Dedicated to George Will

This is my first post as a blogger. I was inspired to do this by none other than George Will. One of his latest rants regarding the great unwashed masses and our infiltration of the political comment arena via the internet finally pushed me over the edge to satisfy my narcissistic, egotistical urges to share my thoughts with the world at large.

It made me wonder what are the qualifications for a political pundit and why did the invasion of amateurs into Mr. Will's private domain cause him such anger?

Qualifications? Lets see; Dictionary, Thesaurus, Book of Quotations [I received all of these in a handy set courtesy of Encyclopedia Britannica about twenty years ago for enduring a ninety minute hard sell. I also got a migraine for my trouble.] , I read a lot [science, history, politics, mysteries, Literature, Comic.. I mean Graphic Novels], I watch the news and listen to it on the radio [CBC, NPR, BBC], surf the internet, and talk to people regarding the events of our times. What else could a guy need? Oh, yeah, writing skills. I have been told by more than a few people that I write fairly well [for an Engineer] and I am happy to agree with their opinion. So, I seem to be eminently qualified to be a political commentator.

Now, part two of my question. Why does Mr. Will go off the deep end over the effrontery of bloggers and their comments on the events of our times? Could it be that he and his cohorts [Carville, Kristol, O'Reilly, ad nauseum] are embarrassed by how wrong they have been and how correct the amateurs have been? I doubt it. They still believe that things should be as they forsee and that they sometime [or somewhere] will be that way.

Are they afraid of the competition for their highly paid gigs? I doubt it. They have the connections that they will always be employed for ridiculous fees for providing the propaganda that the rich and powerful want us to hear/read.

No, I think he just hates the idea that real democracy is actually invading his little world. Mr. Will seems much more comfortable with the elites and their continued control of the world as he knows it.

So thanks for hearing me out, and tune in for other diatribes/rants/sermons on an irregular basis.

No comments: